Is Your Business Compliant With The CAN-SPAM Act?
The CAN-SPAM Act is a set of rules and requirements that governs the transmission of any commercial email or message. These rules stimulate the format in which any message should be transmitted and spells out tough penalties for non-compliance.
There are several simple rules to follow that will ensure that your business is fully compliant with the current CAN-SPAM legislation that could save your company from incurring a hefty penalty. These rules are highlighted below:
1. Do not use false or misleading header information. Your “From,” “To,” “Reply-To,” and routing information – including the originating domain name and email address – must be accurate and identify the person or business who transmitted the message.
2. Do not use deceptive subject lines. The subject line must accurately reflect the content of the message.
3. Identify any message as an advertisement. The law gives you a lot of leeway in how to do this, but you must disclose clearly and conspicuously that your message is an advertisement.
4. Provide full contact details. Your message must include a physical postal address. This can be your full business address or PO BOX.
5. Provide an option for recipients to OPT-OUT of future messages. Your message must include clear instructions on how to opt out of getting email from you in the future.
6. Honor OPT-OUT requests promptly. Any opt-out system you offer must be able to process opt-out requests for at least 30 days after you send your message and honor a recipient’s opt-out request within 10 business days without any fee being incurred.
7. Monitor what others are doing on your behalf. The law makes clear that even if you use another company to handle your email marketing, you cannot contract away your legal responsibility to comply with the law. Both the company whose products and services are promoted in the message and the company who transmits the message will be held legally responsible.
Following the simple rules above can help save both your business reputation and avoid a hefty penalties.